Fast and Easy Tomato Basil Pasta: Under 250 Calories

Tuesday, June 11, 2013


This isn't typically what I would make for dinner. I try to avoid pasta at all costs but the fact of the matter is, I love pasta! For me any pasta under 600 calories is a winner but cutting that in half and then some is even better! Definitely found a new staple dish at my house.


____________________________________

Serves:
Calories: 248
Total Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 985 mg
Potassium: 394 mg
Carbs: 51g
Dietary Fiber: 8 g
Sugars: 7g

*Contains Vitamin A, C, Iron and Calcium*
______________________________________________

Ingredients 
6 ounces linguine pasta
1 can (7-8 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used Rotel Zesty Chile Flavor)
1/2 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 large sprigs basil, chopped
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Recipe: 

1) Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil. DO NOT STIR!
2) Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired. The longer it's in for the tastier it gets.
Oh you were looking for more steps. Sorry to disappoint but that's it! 

What would I do differently? If it was just Bryson and I again with no kids then I wouldn't do anything differently. However, if L was eating with us it's a tad spicy. I would just leave out the red pepper flakes but besides that it's great! My husband requested chicken cooked in the extra sauce for his next time he also helped himself to two servings! That's how I judge food in my house, if they go back for more it's probably pretty tasty. 

Thanks everyone! 

0 comments:

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)