Cake Pop Basics {Never Trust a Cake Pop}

Thursday, February 13, 2014


I finally did it! I made a cake pop that didn't look like a blob of grossness. Speaking of grossness let me just go over the cake pop making process. 

I'm sure in a professional cake pop making setting cleanliness would be number one but when I'm home with two kids by myself it's a miracle if we're all showered. So washing our hands as we touch things is more of a guideline rather than a set in stone rule. #NeverTrustACakepop

Step one: Crumble that cake. Cake loves to be crumbled. 

It can be any kind: gluten free, vegan, chocolate, vanilla, homemade, store bought. 

Whateva floats ya boat. 

After it is crumbled as small as it will go mix in half a container of your favorite frosting. Really get in there. You don't want any clumps of just cake or just frosting. 

I think this goes without saying but cook the cake first according to the directions on the box and let cool. Then start the crumbling process. 


After this step you hear your daughter screaming over Sofia the First and you run into the living room. You see that the baby that was "airing out" (no diaper on) has just shit all over the floor and rolled in it. So in between making the crumble and making the balls you are cleaning poo off of everything and yes, it gets on your hands. 

Now onto the rolling...Oh, you want to know if I washed my hands? I totally did because I will be eating these bad boys...but what if I hadn't. #NeverTrustACakepop

Roll the cakepops into 1" balls. Make sure they are as smooth as you can get them and they are the shape you want. I recommend starting with just balls but then go crazy, maybe make a heart or something *cough* valentines *cough* 


Betcha didn't know cute chubby fingers were that close to your treat did ya? After he pooped all over the floor I didn't trust him. So into the bumbo he went but holy cow did he want them. 



After all your pops are rolled melt a bit of white chocolate. Dip your cake pop sticks into the chocolate and then push into the cake. DO NOT twist, pull out or wiggle the sticks just push them in until they are a little over half way through. This will ensure that they stay in and don't fall off when you are dipping them into the candy coating. 

I have found using the chocolate rather than the candy coating works a million times better. It gets much firmer and is much more durable.


Pop these babies into the freezer while you clean up the enormous mess you made. Oh? You didn't? Yeah, me neither. After 20 minutes take the cake pops out of the freezer and melt your candy coating. 


I used the whole block of candy coating and it was just enough. If you've never worked with it before I would get two blocks because it's really easy to burn. If you burn it just dump it out and start over, it's no good and you don't want to swear in front of the kids who have now congregated around the chocolate. In case you were wondering they are dipping their grimy little fingers in it and licking them. They do not care one bit about the unspoken rules of double dipping. #NeverTrustACakePop

Once the candy coated is completely melted add 1-2 teaspoons of oil into it. This will make dipping SO much easier. You want a runny but not water consistency. 

Any oil will work: Olive, Coconut, Peanut, Canola - just make sure the oil is melted before you mix it into the melted candy coating. 

If you are wanting to dye the candy coating use an oil based dye or it will clump up. 


Once you dip them let the excess candy coating drip off. I would recommend sticking them in styrofoam at an angle to let them dry but if you don't have any laying around get that old boot box you know you've been hoarding in your closet and just cut slits into it and stick them in there. 

Once they're dry then they are ready to eat! They last for a week in a dry cool place. If you're going to bring them somewhere where they will be eaten individually I would recommend wrapping them in candy bags, you can get them at Hobby Lobby. This will also help keep them fresh longer. 


Seriously, we've all had cake pops turn out like this. Don't even lie. You've screwed up one step and ruined everything. You have lost hair from running to the store (again) to get more ingredients because you inevitably burnt the candy coating yet again. Don't even get me started on why the damn things won't stay on the sticks. 

I had a deep loathing for cake pops until I found the fool proof way. 

Don't worry momma, you got this. 

When your daughter says she wants cake pops in her Valentines cards you won't even break a sweat. 

You're welcome. 


I have used the cake pop makers before (I actually used it for Lo's class pops because I didn't want gross hands all over them) but you can't mix in the frosting when you do that and they get dry. The frosting really is what makes them. Next time I would just make them when the kids were asleep because they are so much more moist with the frosting in. Otherwise it doesn't really taste like a store bought cake pop. <-- only acceptable time to use the word moist.



17 comments:

Linzi Scarsella said...

Holy cow this was such a great post! Big ups mama! You sort of read my mind because I was planning on trying to make cake pops for Vday! Although I am planning on doing the Bella Cake pop maker. I honestly don't love the Starbucks ones. Santa brought my oldest the cake pop maker so we wanted to try it out, finally. All of your tips are totally helpful! Those chunky baby hands are delectable too ;)

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Well there you go haha I have tried making cake pops time after time after time. Every time I tell Bryson I'm going to makes him he normally swears and locks himself in the bedroom (then after two hours I drag him out to go to the store because I ruined something.) haha but I hope this helps your cake pops turn out perfect!

PrettyLuckyMama said...

They look fantastic !!! I remember my first attempt at cake pops went terrible lol the balls fell done the stick (and yep I just read that out loud and noticed how inappropriate it sounds who knew how dirty cake pop talk could get lol) Needless to say I will using your method next time around !!

xoxo
Jocelyn @Prettyluckymama

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Hahahaha! Ohmigoodness I wouldn't even have read it that way because I totally know what you mean! The first time I made them was for my daughters 3rd birthday and I ended up just tossing them together because I was so done with it. This way seriously is the way to go. It's so simple!

Becky M said...

So glad you posted these instructions - I was looking for a great tutorial!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Yay! So glad they can help you :)

his little lady said...

You go girl! I love cake pops!!
xo TJ

http://www.hislittlelady.com

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Super Yummy! I am having to pace myself eating them!

kellyr78 said...

My kids would love making these.
kellywcu8888ATgmailDOTcom

soloveritas said...

Thanks for the tips. I haven't made cake pops yet but they have been on my list of things to try.

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Such a fun snack to do with the kiddos :)

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

Definitely refer back haha I've made enough to make all the mistakes that there can be

Unknown said...

Ooooh these look yummy.

Unknown said...

Oooh these look yummy!

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

They were delish :)

Unknown said...

You have seriously changed my life with this post. I have made the gross, blobby version of cake pops before and pretty much washed my hands of them. I am going to try your technique and see how I fare!

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so excited I found your blog page, I really found you by
error, while I was searching on Aol for something else, Anyways I am here now
and would just like to say many thanks for a
marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time
to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and
also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb job.


Feel free to surf to my blog ... Boom Beach hack no survey

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)