Kids & Chores

Tuesday, July 8, 2014



Growing up I always had chores. We didn't sleep in, were expected to play sports and to take home the best grades to our ability. We weren't overloaded with chores but I definitely had more chores than all of my friends...probably more than my friends combined. 

With that being said, I am definitely not complaining now...even though I'm sure back then I had a few choice words to say. Well, that's not entirely true. I'm sure there was a sigh here and a complaint there but for the most part we just did them, it was just our way of life. I remember going to friends houses and their parents would ask them to clean their rooms and they would go off the freaking wall. #Awkward #That'sANiceLamp 

Teaching your kids chores is so important. It teaches perseverance, self motivation, patience and just what living in a household and holding a job means. Lo has always been great about certain chores...actually, pretty much all chores. She is OCD and keeps her room clean, as soon as she turned three she started putting away her own clothes/dusting where she can reach and this year she helps fold clothes, sets the table and today she started vacuuming! 
Like I said, Lo has always been great with chores but as she got older she started wanting an allowance. We paid her $3 a week when she was 3 and it was going pretty good. Then, the attitude hit. Three was a hard year for me, there were tantrums and a whole lot of fights but then I discovered this magical thing that we call, The Board.


She decorated it and we came up with the consequences together (it used to have a lot more stickers but little hands love to pull them off). For a couple of weeks we stuck to it. We would reset it every day (in between get a candy and warning) and she had all day to either move up, or to move down. If she got all the way up to the princess castle five times we go on a family outing and make a day out of it. Let me tell you, it is not easy to get to the princess castle. 

She did ONE punishment. 

That's it. 

Now we don't even use the rewards. I think it's just physically seeing how she's acting today that really works for her. She is always so proud of herself when she moves up and it's a day ruiner if it moves down. 



______________________________________________________________________

Kids Chores 

{By Age} 

2-3

  • Pick up & put away toys
  • Unload silverware (just be sure to take out knives)
  • Dust bottom shelves
  • Put clothes in hamper
  • Collect dirty clothes 
  • Put away clothes
  • Make bed
  • Wipe baseboards
  • Put on shoes
  • Get dressed (set out outfit)

4-5

  • all previous chores
  • Load dishwasher
  • Vacuum couch 
  • Set table
  • Clear table
  • Hand-wash dishes (supervision)
  • Clean windows (where they can reach)
  • Clean bathroom sinks 
  • Match socks
  • Fold towels and some of their clothes
  • Help with plants 
  • Feed and water pets
  • Brush teeth 
  • Shower/wash hair/wash body

6-8

  • all previous chores
  • Meal prep (wash produce, find ingredients, simple cutting)
  • Clean bathrooms (wash, dry, fold, hang)
  • Laundry
  • Sweep
  • Vacuum
  • Collect garbage
  • Get mail
  • Clean microwave
  • Rake leaves

9-11

  • all previous chores
  • Make simples meals (think mac 'n' cheese)
  • Bring garbage to curb
  • Mop
  • Clean cupboards

12+

  • all previous chores
  • Make full meals
  • Clean out fridge/freezer
  • Mow yard 
  • Supervise younger kids doing chores
  • Babysit

___________________________________________________________________

It's important to remember that not all kids or chores are the same and some are just harder than others. At first it will be easier to do it yourself but if you're patient and explain things as many times as they need I promise that they will eventually be able to do it and awhile after that they will be able to do it well. Today Lo vacuumed...and it was awful and she took a lot of breaks because it was heavy but she did her very best and was EXTREMELY proud of herself and I am sure next time it will be even better. 

Sometimes Lo will rush through a chore and I can tell. Instead of getting on her I have found it's best to just ask her if she did the absolute best she can do. And if she didn't and she says no, then I ask her to redo it right, please and if she says she did then I simply tell her that it looks like we need to go over it again. I will show her again and then let her finish up. 

Do not let them do it halfway, lie to you and you finish it. Then you are just promoting laziness and lying. There is nothing wrong with kids contributing to the house that they live in for free and I promise you will not be the "mean parent". I sure do not resent my parents for preparing me for real life! 

0 comments:

 
Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)